Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What's wrong with Husky basketball

I could list off many but, my god, all we do is stand around on offense. Add in a lazy-ass player like Andrew Andrews and you're fucked. He touches the ball on every possession and all he does is walk around the perimeter and throw a slow, lazy pass to a guy standing 10 feet away from him. The defense doesn't have to move. Teams throw zones at us because they know we don't understand really basic concepts of spacing and how to move the ball in order to find holes in the defense.

Watch pretty much any Big 10 team (the best conference in the country) and you will see that they run offenses with a ton of movement. The ball whips around the perimeter, guys are constantly running off screens away from the ball and they have much better shot selection because they are actually running plays and getting open off of screens. Our offense is: let one guy try to take their defender off the dribble and then force up a shit shot. At no time is this more apparent than at the end of close games where we SHOULD be running a play to get a guy open for a high percentage jump shot (think of a panicked Venoy Overton against North Carolina in the tournament where our last shot was him going one on one with his defender and then putting up a prayer that hit off the side of the backboard).

The only player on our roster who plays tough and with a high basketball IQ is David Crisp. He forces up some ill-advised shots but his passes have some fucking zip on them and he does a good job of finding the holes in the defense, drawing defenders in, and then passing to a guy who is open. Things will be so much better when he is running our offense. Andrew Andrews can't graduate soon enough.

Comments

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Just offensively:

Murray hasn't learned that it isn't high school anymore, and he can't just slash through defenses like butter anymore. Feels like every time he drives into the lane he gets stuck and then forces up a bad shot, and only occasionally does the right thing and looks for the pass. And his 3 ball is awful, but I think that might be a result of the strength and size conditioning Romar has him on.

Andrews is, and always has been, atrocious in half court offense. You hit it right on the head with the lazy observation. Fultz will hopefully come in here next year and fix that.

Thybulle, for how great he is on defense, seems inept on the other end of the floor. Can't move off the ball well and definitely can't put it on the floor like the rest of the perimeter players can.

Chriss needs to stop trying to have a post game, doesn't have the strength to play back-to-basket basketball and always fails when he tries. His midrange game and finishing are where he excels, and should stick to that for now.

Dime drops more passes than Jaydon Mickens. I don't expect much from him on offense, but it gets infuriating when he's wide open under the rim and botches pass after pass.

Dickerson has great a great post game and solid footwork. Would help a ton if he worked to get open a little better and we tried to get him the ball on the block a little more.

Dorsey literally just shoots 3s, and defenses know that. Needs to develop a wider offensive range.

And I agree that Crisp is our best offensive player, he's extremely efficent off the bench and I can't wait for him to get a bigger role in the future.

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I agree that AA can't graduate soon enough. But that does not solve the obvious issue that Romar is one of the worst offensive coaches I've seen. Basic motion, high/low, backside screens...we see none of it. Add in the matador defense we saw tonight, the future is not very bright, regardless of recruiting.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2015
    So basically what you're saying is the UW plays AAU ball and the Big10 plays Euro style.

I did watch Michigan State live a couple years back and I was fucking amazed how fast they got upcourt with the ball not touching the floor. Just incredible.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    It boggles my mind that Romar still hasn't learned how to fucking coach. Shit, let Brad Jackson be the ghost coach or something. At least he knows Xs and Os. I'm not sure Romar even does. It's taken him 18 years to draw up a fucking inbounds play besides run around and right before the 5 second call, have the PG retreat the other way and launch it to him.

Basketball is a game of ups and downs so during the course of a season, teams win some they shouldn't and lose some they shouldn't. But it's extremely evident that if Romar has the same exact talent as an opposing coach, he's going to lose the vast majority of the time. He can't coach a team up and he can't make a really good team great. That's why I admire Tom Izzo because his teams can look terrible in December but by March they're in the sweet 16 at the very worst. Romar needs more talent to beat you. End of story.

Which sucks because this team for the next few years will be awfully talented but will not end up doing anything memorable. If Calipari had this team, we'd make a Final 4 in the next 3 years. Granted I don't think it's F4 talent but with an A+ coach this group COULD accomplish a lot. Unfortunately, 2018's magical round of 32 game we should have won but didn't will be special.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The head coach
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kill it with fire
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,470
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We have a basketball team?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

We have a basketball team?

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I support coach Romar...
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    edited December 2015
    1. On the ball defense is terrible.

2. When they help, their rotation is terrible.

3. Aggressive defense is good. Aggressive "defense" that puts your opponent at the line with 10 minutes to go in each half is not good and frankly, isn't defense.

4 They have no offensive identity. Slashers? Jump shooters? What the hell are they on offense? I have no clue and they play like they have no clue either.

And ... you could have said the same things about every team the UW has rolled out for about the last 7 years.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    It all went to shit when this was allowed to happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b97TRvZqgsY
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

Just offensively:

Murray hasn't learned that it isn't high school anymore, and he can't just slash through defenses like butter anymore. Feels like every time he drives into the lane he gets stuck and then forces up a bad shot, and only occasionally does the right thing and looks for the pass. And his 3 ball is awful, but I think that might be a result of the strength and size conditioning Romar has him on.

Andrews is, and always has been, atrocious in half court offense. You hit it right on the head with the lazy observation. Fultz will hopefully come in here next year and fix that.

Thybulle, for how great he is on defense, seems inept on the other end of the floor. Can't move off the ball well and definitely can't put it on the floor like the rest of the perimeter players can.

Chriss needs to stop trying to have a post game, doesn't have the strength to play back-to-basket basketball and always fails when he tries. His midrange game and finishing are where he excels, and should stick to that for now.

Dime drops more passes than Jaydon Mickens. I don't expect much from him on offense, but it gets infuriating when he's wide open under the rim and botches pass after pass.

Dickerson has great a great post game and solid footwork. Would help a ton if he worked to get open a little better and we tried to get him the ball on the block a little more.

Dorsey literally just shoots 3s, and defenses know that. Needs to develop a wider offensive range.

And I agree that Crisp is our best offensive player, he's extremely efficent off the bench and I can't wait for him to get a bigger role in the future.

Murray needs some work, but does everything on offense better than Crisp except shoot.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But it's extremely evident that if Romar has the same exact talent as an opposing coach, he's going to lose the vast majority of the time.

This. Winner Winner chicken dinner.

And since we will NEVER have the elite final four type talent where you can just roll the ball out on the floor and get out of the way (KU/Duke/NC/Kentucky) you better have a coach who can win a game because he can scheme his way to a win, with a team who plays smarter than the other team (think Bo Ryan time at Wisconsin, and obvious Tom Izzo). That will never be Romar.

• Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment