Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What Washington Needs to do to get back to the top

There are a combination of things that obviously need to happen in order for the Huskies to get back to the top but I just one to touch on one thing I noticed while watching the bowl game vs OSU. As a scout the first thing you naturally do is the eyeball test. Looking at our guys compared to OSU there was a big difference in my opinion on the physical make up of the Players. OSU looked more physically imposing than our players.

Now when I played I was a huge weight room guy so I feel that championships are won in the off season strength and condition program or at least that is the foundation of successful season. Nowadays it seems some strength coaches are to technical with so much information that they forget the core training methods that have proven to work over time.

ESPN classics showed the 1991 Rose Bowl a few days ago and was thinking that team makes the current Roster looks like like a group of Freshman. I remember Johnny Morton from USC a few years ago commented on the fact that I used a thigh pad to cover my bruised Bicep for protection during the game. Hey said guys on their team were like, "#48 arms are so big he has to us a thigh Pad to cover it". Also, I ran into guy that played at Washington in 1993 for East Carolina. He said they were intimated when NIP and and guys like Ernie Conwell came out with half cut Jersey's showing their guns and six pack. Did you see the Ohio State Players last night? It reminding me how we looked. They ran the ball down Oregon's throat because the were the stronger Team.

My point is this, We just need to get our edge back and it starts in the Weight room. Its were confidence is built. It think its important to have certain measurables and set personal goals. It's not the the be all and end all but when I set the school record at UW in the Squat at 750lb I felt no one could stop me. I benched 420 pounds in high school so I was ready play when I first got to Washington and it showed on the practice field.

It seems that some programs overemphasize fancy Machines and a plethora drills and de-emphasize core lifts and Free Weights because they feel you would get to bulky and loose agility. I think you train correctly you get yoked up, fast, agile and explosive. (and we had loose hips. lol) If you remember we were known for our speed and athleticism but almost our whole team benched over 400lbs. Mark Brunell could Power Clean 350 pounds. Nip could bench press well over 400 pounds. I could go on and on. I just don't think a team 25 years ago should not be more physically imposing that a Team today.

Now It takes time to build muscle mass so I can blame the current strength program but next year if their lineman come out looking look pillsbury doughboys then I would question what they are doing in their strength and condition program. Just my thoughts on a program I love and hope to see back at the top soon.

Comments

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2015
    There is also a speed & aggressiveness factor that we're missing. Whenever an oregon player got the ball, a split second passed before an ohio state defender flashed onto the screen and hit him. That's the way it was at UW in the early 1990s. Our guys were always swarming around the ball, flying out of nowhere to make a sure tackle.

Now it seems like an opposing player catches the ball, and you're literally counting "one-mississippi...two-mississippi...three..." before some UW player finally comes into the picture to make a hit.

Physical stature, speed, aggressiveness are all absent. john timu? jeezus.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2015

There are a combination of things that obviously need to happen in order for the Huskies to get back to the top but I just one to touch on one thing I noticed while watching the bowl game vs OSU. As a scout the first thing you naturally do is the eyeball test. Looking at our guys compared to OSU there was a big difference in my opinion on the physical make up of the Players. OSU looked more physically imposing than our players.

Now when I played I was a huge weight room guy so I feel that championships are won in the off season strength and condition program or at least that is the foundation of successful season. Nowadays it seems some strength coaches are to technical with so much information that they forget the core training methods that have proven to work over time.

ESPN classics showed the 1991 Rose Bowl a few days ago and was thinking that team makes the current Roster looks like like a group of Freshman. I remember Johnny Morton from USC a few years ago commented on the fact that I used a thigh pad to cover my bruised Bicep for protection during the game. Hey said guys on their team were like, "#48 arms are so big he has to us a thigh Pad to cover it". Also, I ran into guy that played at Washington in 1993 for East Carolina. He said they were intimated when NIP and and guys like Ernie Conwell came out with half cut Jersey's showing their guns and six pack. Did you see the Ohio State Players last night? It reminding me how we looked. They ran the ball down Oregon's throat because the were the stronger Team.

My point is this, We just need to get our edge back and it starts in the Weight room. Its were confidence is built. It think its important to have certain measurables and set personal goals. It's not the the be all and end all but when I set the school record at UW in the Squat at 750lb I felt no one could stop me. I benched 420 pounds in high school so I was ready play when I first got to Washington and it showed on the practice field.

It seems that some programs overemphasize fancy Machines and a plethora drills and de-emphasize core lifts and Free Weights because they feel you would get to bulky and loose agility. I think you train correctly you get yoked up, fast, agile and explosive. (and we had loose hips. lol) If you remember we were known for our speed and athleticism but almost our whole team benched over 400lbs. Mark Brunell could Power Clean 350 pounds. Nip could bench press well over 400 pounds. I could go on and on. I just don't think a team 25 years ago should not be more physically imposing that a Team today.

Now It takes time to build muscle mass so I can blame the current strength program but next year if their lineman come out looking look pillsbury doughboys then I would question what they are doing in their strength and condition program. Just my thoughts on a program I love and hope to see back at the top soon.

Have you or will you ever meet with Socha? I don't know what your relationship with the program is, but I'd be interested to hear your impressions after meeting with him and understanding his philosophy on S&C.

I wrote quite a bit on Socha during the offseason since he's one of the most significant upgrades in the last decade at UW.

Edit: Here's the link: http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussion/10988/how-bad-was-s-c-under-ivan-tequila-long/p1
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Great find @CokeGreaterThanPepsi‌. In my opinion, the most important and pertinent to our current situation:
    We expect the guys to be on time for all workouts, which sounds like a no-brainer. But with redshirt freshmen lifting at 5:45 a.m., it sometimes needs to be emphasized. Also, whenever our players are in the weightroom, we expect them to not wear anything that draws attention to themselves, such as necklaces, bracelets, or non-issued clothing. Simple rules like these send an important message: No one is bigger than the team, and if you want to garner attention, you earn it through hard work and not the way you accessorize.

These basic rules give rise to some interesting conflicts involving new athletes, who were almost always stars in high school and may come from programs where such strict standards didn't apply to them. But our older players set the example, and as time goes on, everyone eventually "gets it" and sees that it's an important part of our success.

Our accountability system is progressive. At those early freshman lifting sessions, the first athlete who shows up late typically pushes a plate for the length of time he missed, with a minimum of 10 minutes. For the next person who is late, he and his roommates receive the punishment. After that, we might apply it to everyone who plays the late athlete's position.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:
    @DonaldJones‌ I counted about 17 personal fouls in your highlight reel.

Take a lap.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They were training on machines?! Christ!
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I miss those days where you could make a big play and celebrate with your teammates without showing up the other team and nobody batted an eye at it.

That was my point. Have fun.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Ivan was a nice guy but that is FS...as I understand it, free weights are much better because you need your smaller muscle fibers to balance the bar / weights (bench) and keep your own balance (squat, power clean). WTF. That revelation actually concerns me because shouldn't someone in the athletic department noticed that and said something? Where were Greg Lewis and Damon Huard?
    PurpleJ said:

They were training on machines?! Christ!