Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bellevue vs Marysville Pilchuk report

Attended the game tonight to check out some of the potential recruits. Bellevue won 20-10. Hard fought game as it was 10-10 late in the 3rd quarter.

Austin Joyner- Wow. I have watched a lot of his film but one thing I was really impressed with tonight was his power. Very strong lower body. Bellevue was swarming on D but he has a great burst, has Roger Craig type high knee action as well. On one sweep he absolutely planted Gilchrist and barely broke stride. On D he played deep safety, very physical and has great closing speed and a very sure tackler. Really hope he flips to UW. Oh and of course exquisite hips

Henry Roberts- Tough to get a sense on lineman while live in person. Great feet and gets to the next level well. Even at 6'6" I see him more of a guard. Adams and Devin Burleson as tackles for this class

One player I have watched twice now and haven't been impressed is the jr USC commit Garcia. Just hasn't made many plays and tonight didn't even play that much D and just a little offense. No impact on either.

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Agree about Joyner. Many reports are all his offers were for RB but he insists on playing safety at the next level.

If Peterman wants him, he's got to offer what Sark wouldn't... DEFENSE!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I'm heering that he reely wants Washington but doesn't have the academies so he has to go to WSU.

That's what I'm heering.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm heering that he reely wants Washington but doesn't have the academies so he has to go to WSU.

That's what I'm heering.

Whoosh? They both use the same academic standards for football.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2014

That's what I'm heering.

Not true. Two words - singor mobley. I know a few of his high school friends (Curtis in Tacoma). He wanted to go to UW, but grades forced him to the palouse.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

That's what I'm heering.

Not true. Two words - singor mobley. I know a few of his high school friends (Curtis in Tacoma). He wanted to go to UW, but grades forced him to the palouse.
    This is right, but since Mobley's days things have changed and been standardized. The only school that uses elevated standards in the Pac-12 is Stanford these days.
  • Options
    BlowItUpBlowItUp Member Posts: 877
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

That's what I'm heering.

This is right, but since Mobley's days things have changed and been standardized. The only school that uses elevated standards in the Pac-12 is Stanford these days.
    UCLA, too. I think.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    First time seeing Joyner play, really hope he flips to UW.
  • Options

Passion said:

That's what I'm heering.

Correct.

I work with someone with three kids who are D 1 athuleets, one of whom is at UW and was recrooted by Furd.

Furd has a tiered system by sport and the NCAA minimums mean nothing there. Nobody else in the conference takes that approach. Other than the historical technicality of the PE credit thing, which is entirely an accident of history and not any kind of statement on standards, everyone is operating on the same criteria.

If you're good enough, you're getting in unless you are below the mins, which you almost have to try and be.

I personally know of a UW women's bb recruit who really has no biz going to college - like, none - but 6 foh and 2 fity girls don't grow on trees y'all.
  • Options
    Passion said:

That's what I'm heering.

Hearing shit from high school friends of a dumb recruit isn't exactly good research.

Talk to a even a mildly intelligent parent of a recruit who had to learn how the system works, and you will understand.

Furd, Duke, Vandy, the academies, maybe Rice (not sure) - they play it with a tiered system, and of course football has the easiest standards because you need more bodies. But even fb standards at furd are a lot higher than NCAA minimums. Like you have to have a core 3.3 or 3.5 (forget which) or better.
  • Options
    BlowItUp said:

Passion said:

That's what I'm heering.

UCLA, too. I think.
    No.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Desean Jackson couldn't get into ucla but got into cal. Don't know when everything became uniform though. Skippy complained a lot about this as they are both on the uc system.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People in the know on DM.c used to say that UCLA was using higher than the min standards for football players. Of course these "people in the the know" were probably Bleenor or Berkowitz meaning they really don't know much of anything. I don't remember though.
  • Options

Desean Jackson couldn't get into ucla but got into cal. Don't know when everything became uniform though. Skippy complained a lot about this as they are both on the uc system.

I doubt this. Cal is harder to get into than UCLA generally and there's no way Jackson got into Cal and didn't qualify at UCLA. Absurd.
  • Options
    chuck said:

People in the know on DM.c used to say that UCLA was using higher than the min standards for football players. Of course these "people in the the know" were probably Bleenor or Berkowitz meaning they really don't know much of anything. I don't remember though.

Yeah it's an urban myth. Didn't happen.
  • Options
    * Neuheisel: “I do know that they are allowed to take a few more players than we are.”

* Neuheisel: “‘Why can DeSean Jackson get into Cal, and not UCLA?’ ‘Why can Marshawn Lynch get into Cal, and not UCLA?’ Those are great questions [from Bruin fans]. But, I trust that we’re working towards having equality with Cal …”

Take it up with skippy. Just passing along his quotes. Doubt he would go on record if there wasn't something to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

* Neuheisel: “I do know that they are allowed to take a few more players than we are.”

* Neuheisel: “‘Why can DeSean Jackson get into Cal, and not UCLA?’ ‘Why can Marshawn Lynch get into Cal, and not UCLA?’ Those are great questions [from Bruin fans]. But, I trust that we’re working towards having equality with Cal …”

Take it up with skippy. Just passing along his quotes. Doubt he would go on record if there wasn't something to it.

I would. There is always a lot of detail behind the scenes in these recruiting battles. Very hard to tell what the weez was up to there. They have to go to bat for theses kids that are really on the margin. Whether they do that for a kid who has indicated he's going elsewhere is anyone's guess. A person familiars with the system once told me, "you only have so many chips with admissions. You can't play all of them every time."

That tells me that there is a lot strategy in terms if how you play with these kids who can barely function academically and who aren't telling you they're with you. Face saving and a million other things go into it.

Bottom line is that Cal is harder and I have no doubt in key mind that ucla does not use harder criteria that. Cal for fb recruits.

If we were talking about uva I might bite. But not the bruins.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Campuses do what you are talking about all the time. While the requirements might be the same the powers that be can say yes or no to borderline kids.

Cal may be harder to get into but they may let any dipshit in that meets the minimum requirement while other colleges are more stingy with their athletes.

See Charles Garcia as another example.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There are standards and there are exceptions. When your team becomes a collection of exceptions, those become the standard which is when the admissions people start to whine.

I'm convinced any team can get one exception through the door.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited December 2014
    CAL actually just recently passed new rules for football players to get in. Their standards have gone up now because of the trouble they got in with APR while players like Jackson and Lynch were there. The school board or something passed them for the school and it will for sure shrink the type of players they can get into school now.

mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26823904/80-percent-cal-recruits-must-have-3-0