Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Re-rating recruits based on performance

chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
I can't sleep tonight.

I've been toying with my spreadsheet with recent recruiting classes and tried to objectively re-rate each recruit signed since 2010. I want to stick to the Scout system of 1*-5*. The idea is to see how many lived up to projected potential, evaluate recruiting success or lack thereof, and ultimately to bash on Sarkisian because that's just fun. Here is the draft rating "system" I came up with:

1*: never made it or flamed out before doing anything
2*: stayed but just a bad player unable to get on the field, or stayed a while and played poorly, then left.
3*: stayed and played but not a good player, played some at a functional level then left, or still here and undetermined
4*: stayed/staying, solid or good player or important contributor whether they should be or not (Mickens for example)
5*: All Conference caliber

There are some weaknesses in my system. It's hard to account for someone like Josh Shirley, who actually gave a couple of decent years but got the boot with eligibility still on the table. He gets 3* on my scale. It's hard to fairly rate young guys, like the bulk of the 2013 class, but that mostly results in the average being dragged toward the middle (3*) since nobody that young is likely to be All Conference at this stage and few are even going to be important contributors yet. I also have a problem with a guy like Mickens, who I believe to be just barely above terrible, being only one point below a great player like Shelton or Kikaha simply because he's been targeted a lot for strange reasons (Sark and his bubble screen obsession and Smith because he has very limited options).

So...the point of this post is to solicit input/suggestions. How would you do it?

Comments

• MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment
    Funny that you mention this... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi‌ and I have been debating this over the last year or so. My thought is to rate guys only after they have exhausted their eligibility. We've looked at it a few ways including something similar but everything is so arbitrary based on the person actually evaluating. We thought about creating some sort of equation (like in fantasy football) using stats but that is really hard to rate some defensive players.

I would love to hear solutions.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Funny that you mention this... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi‌ and I have been debating this over the last year or so. My thought is to rate guys only after they have exhausted their eligibility. We've looked at it a few ways including something similar but everything is so arbitrary based on the person actually evaluating. We thought about creating some sort of equation (like in fantasy football) using stats but that is really hard to rate some defensive players.

A thought on that: Set up a Google Doc and post the link or invite posters here to rate players using those guidelines, then take the average.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't think stats are the way. They're helpful in some cases, for instance the number of tackles for a linebacker, or QB sacks/pressures for a defensive end. We have to rely on our eyes for most though which means subjectivity but well defined ratings might take some of that out. We know who the all conference guys are (5*). The solid 4* guys are going to be obvious, but it gets real fuzzy on the borderline 3*/4* part of the scale. Some guys that many of us think are very good players but somehow don't get involved (Kendal Taylor is a good example) would be very open to debate. I think he rates a 4* but his (lack of) production (stats) says otherwise. The 1* and 2* categories are actually fairly cut and dry.

I do agree that rating most players who still have most or part of their career ahead of them is going to result in errors. I looked at my list for the 2013 class and most are stuck at 3* right now because you just don't know. The dropouts are obvious enough, and the ones playing meaningful snaps right now (like Qualls) are obvious, but the rest are unknowns.

Kind of fun anyways.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Really like that idea grundle! We could find like ten posters on here to help us re-rank. That way we can avoid duck trolls trying to make UW recruiting look bad!
    And @chuck, we should compare spreadsheets someday, might get new ideas. Although, @MrsPetersen‌ is the one who built the spreadsheet we use.
    Agree @chuck‌, using stats makes rating OL virtually impossible. We also thought about assigning point totals for things like All Conference, All American, Position award.... etc. But at the end of the day I think I agree that there isn't a way to take the "human" element out of the equation. So maybe polling 10 people or so to get a good cross-section and hopefully remove some of the bias.
    Swaye's Wigwam

And @chuck, we should compare spreadsheets someday, might get new ideas. Although, @MrsPetersen‌ is the one who built the spreadsheet we use.

Mine is pretty unpolished. I just copied and pasted straight from the commit list pages on Scout then fought through the formatting enough to be able to sort. I've thrown together some summary tables but most of them are no good anymore because of changes that have happened since and a lack of forethought on how to set it up.
    Standard Supporter

Agree @chuck‌, using stats makes rating OL virtually impossible. We also thought about assigning point totals for things like All Conference, All American, Position award.... etc. But at the end of the day I think I agree that there isn't a way to take the "human" element out of the equation. So maybe polling 10 people or so to get a good cross-section and hopefully remove some of the bias.

This article is way above my pay grade, but does have some ways to quantify offensive line performance.
    The Toolbox: Offensive Line Stats - Football Study Hall
    We went through the Scout commit pages back to 2002 (when they started). We entered each player in with all of their details (stars, hometown, state, high school, position, commit date, whether they were a consistent starter or not, qualify/no qualify, nfl, nfl draft position). Then we added a "Contributor" field and that is the one we are stuck on. Our original thought was a 1-5 where 0 means they never stepped foot on the field, and 5 is basically a Bishop Sankey.

Standard Supporter
    What about adjusting the scale to make 0 the flameout, never got into school grade?
    Oops, that is what I meant a 0-5 so for example a Patrick Enewally/Lavon Washington is a 0. Connor Cree=1, Nate Fellner=2, Cody Bruns=3, Sean Parker=4, and Bishop Sankey=5.

Those were examples I grabbed at just a quick glance.
    Swaye's Wigwam

What about adjusting the scale to make 0 the flameout, never got into school grade?

Yeah MrsPetersen had me thinking about that too. I like it in that it narrows the other categories a bit improving the precision. I'm trying to decide whether it's important or not that the range is the same as the Scout system. It's probably not since one of the outcomes of the exercise is that it will show how meaningless the Scout ratings are after a player is in school (@Auburndoog).
    So I was just thinking about this and I've never actually seen a 1* on Scout, has anyone else? 2* seems to be as low as they go. So if we maybe did give a 1 to non-contributors that might help even out the numbers for tracking variance in a recruiting class. Instead of a zero. IDK, but I'm a dork and this stuff is fun. I love to see a good old 2* contribute at a 5* level....
    Standard Supporter

So I was just thinking about this and I've never actually seen a 1* on Scout, has anyone else? 2* seems to be as low as they go. So if we maybe did give a 1 to non-contributors that might help even out the numbers for tracking variance in a recruiting class. Instead of a zero. IDK, but I'm a dork and this stuff is fun. I love to see a good old 2* contribute at a 5* level....

It's all semantics. My thought is giving the flameouts a 0 is an extra penalty for rating, evaluating and coaching failure.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Now that you mention it I think everyone ends up at 2* or above once it's all said and done. 1* during the process just means they haven't been rated by the service yet.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I always did it this way

5* = All-American (any level)
    4* = All-Conference (first or second team, generally)
    3* = Solid Starter (played pretty well, maybe HM All-Conference)
    2* = Played with only marginal contribution (could've been a bad starter like Ossai or just a guy who didn't do much)
    1* = Terrible, DNP, left, etc. (Pretty much guys who never saw the field; if they transferred, then I include what they did at the new school)

QB: Nick Montana (1)
    RB: Deontae Cooper (2/3), Jesse Callier (2), Zach Fogerson (1)
    WR: Kevin Smith (3), DiAndre Campbell (2)
    TE: Michael Hartvigson (2)
    OL: Colin Porter (3/4), Ben Riva (3), Colin Tanigawa (3), Mike Criste (2/3), James Atoe (2), Erik Kohler (2)
    DL: Sione Potoa'e (2), Lawrence Lagafuaina (1)
    DE: Hau'oli Kikaha (5), Andrew Hudson (3/4), Josh Shirley (2/3)
    LB: John Timu (3), Garret Gilliland (1/2), Jamaal Kearse (1/2), Cooper Pelluer (1)
    DB: Sean Parker (3), Greg Ducre (3), Taz Stevenson (1/2)

QB: Derrick Brown (1)
    RB: Bishop Sankey (5), Dezden Petty (1)
    WR: Kasen Williams (3/4), Marvin Hall (2), Jamaal Jones (1)
    TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (4/5), Josh Perkins (2/3)
    OL: Dexter Charles (3), Sifa Tufunga (2)
    DL: Danny Shelton (5), Jarrett Finau (2), Taniela Tupou (2)
    LB: Travis Feeney (3/4*), Thomas Tutogi (3), Scott Lawyer (2/3*), Matthew Lyons (1), Corey Waller (1), Evan Zeger (1)
    DB: Marcus Peters (5), James Sample (3)

QB: Cyler Miles (2/3*), Jeff Lindquist (2*)
    RB: Dwayne Washington (3*), Erich Wilson (1/2)
    WR: Jaydon Mickens (2/3), Kendyl Taylor (2/3)
    OL: Jake Eldrenkamp (3*), Shane Brostek (2), Nathan Dean (1), Cory Fuavai (1), Tayor Hindy (1),
    DL: Pio Vatuvei (3), Josh Banks (2), Damon Turpin (1)
    LB: Shaq Thompson (5), Cory Littleton (3*), Psalm Wooching (2), Ryan McDaniel (1), Blake Rodgers (1)
    DB: Cleveland Wallace (1/2), Darien Washington (1)
    P: Travis Coons (3/4), Korey Durkee (3)

*Based on a projection through the end of their career.
    I agree with a lot of those ratings, however guys like a Pio Vatuvei or Colin Porter who basically played for 1 year and then didn't contribute again (for whatever reason) shouldn't be highly rated. There has to be a subtraction because even they were awesome players it takes away from the program because they only contributed for 1 year. So in that case they usually get a 1 from me (on a 0-5 rating scale.

But it's also why we usually don't give them a "final" rating until they exhaust eligibility. For example Andrew Hudson, he probably gets bumped up a bit for this year since contributed more. DiAndre Campbell would stay the same, because meh.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,813
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I was just about to post something very similar to what the leader of one of America's greatest rock bands, but they got a bad wrap because the critics are cynical assholes said.

0 = Never made it into school for whatever reason

1 = Contributed to the program but never made it onto the field for anything more than garbage time snaps (regardless of whether left the program or completed eligibility)

2 = 2nd string player who never was able to crack the starting lineup - think backup or special teams player

3 = replacement level starter in the conference - a player that wasn't great but also would start for other teams in the conference and that while you'd like to upgrade from him, you also could take a step back from him

4 = All-Conference caliber player - you could plug him into most teams in the conference and he'd immediately start for them and be an upgrade

5 = All American - you could plug him into most teams in the country and he'd immediately start for them and be an upgrade

I'd also differentiate between these levels as well to account for the differences between players (think the difference between an A-, A, and A+). I'd save the highest ratings, the 5's, for guys that were finalists/winners for the Heisman or positional awards in the country. An all-conference player that is a fringe All-American I'd rank higher than All-Conference players. Go down a sliding scale like that ... 4, 4.3, 4.7, 5.0.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I agree with a lot of those ratings, however guys like a Pio Vatuvei or Colin Porter who basically played for 1 year and then didn't contribute again (for whatever reason) shouldn't be highly rated. There has to be a subtraction because even they were awesome players it takes away from the program because they only contributed for 1 year. So in that case they usually get a 1 from me (on a 0-5 rating scale.

But it's also why we usually don't give them a "final" rating until they exhaust eligibility. For example Andrew Hudson, he probably gets bumped up a bit for this year since contributed more. DiAndre Campbell would stay the same, because meh.

Good points. If a guy is serviceable for a year or two but then gets beat out by another player, then they should be downgraded to some degree. In the hypothetical where a freshman all-american comes in and proves to be a better option at that position, then there isn't much else you can do. Sure it sucks to be the serviceable guy, but oh well.

I think Andrew Hudson is probably the rare exception to go from ass.door.out to back in the mix with the type of season he is having.
    If Andrew Hudson left last year I'd probably give him a 2 (pretty generous) after this season though I would give him a 3. Good example.