Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Will Seahawk Mania Steal Attention from Husky Stadium's New Era Season?

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited July 2013 in Tug Tavern

imageWill Seahawk Mania Steal Attention from Husky Stadium's New Era Season?

Back in the late 1970s through the mid 1980s, the Seahawks and Huskies both enjoyed support from rabid fan bases. It was a real rarity for a major metropolitan city, But these days, as Seahawk mania sweeps the region, can the Huskies compete with their new stadium?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Just reading the line "Seattle sports scene dominated by Pete Carroll" would've made me barf just a few years ago. But now...

I enjoyed the piece, Derek (thanks for writing it), although I would underscore a couple other factors that negatively impact Husky Football attendance (besides the Seahawks). The first is that UW grads over the past decade have only seen crap on the field. I remember my fraternity brothers and I purchasing season tickets en bloc after we graduated. Why? Because the team was good. Not so anymore. If anything, UW grads in their 20s and early 30s are more drawn to the basketball team because the football team sucks.

Second would be a changing demographic - specifically, the rapid rise in popularity of the Sounders. People have a limited amount of dollars & time to commit to sporting events, and now we're competing with a new soccer fanbase that didn't exist ten years ago.

In these two video clips, watch the amount of people seated in the west endzone. It was full.
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZekkCsuChU
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3YojC75Y0 (see the 15 & 27 second mark)
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    the team may not have an identity (Hi Woody!), but I hear the kids love the black uniforms (whatever that means).
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2013
    I was at that 83 game on a crisp Christmas Eve but my dad was dead
  • Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm hearing that hydro races and dancing grounds crews are a good way to keep up attendance.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Passion said:

Just reading the line "Seattle sports scene dominated by Pete Carroll" would've made me barf just a few years ago. But now...

I enjoyed the piece, Derek (thanks for writing it), although I would underscore a couple other factors that negatively impact Husky Football attendance (besides the Seahawks). The first is that UW grads over the past decade have only seen crap on the field. I remember my fraternity brothers and I purchasing season tickets en bloc after we graduated. Why? Because the team was good. Not so anymore. If anything, UW grads in their 20s and early 30s are more drawn to the basketball team because the football team sucks.

Second would be a changing demographic - specifically, the rapid rise in popularity of the Sounders. People have a limited amount of dollars & time to commit to sporting events, and now we're competing with a new soccer fanbase that didn't exist ten years ago.

In these two video clips, watch the amount of people seated in the west endzone. It was full.
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZekkCsuChU
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI3YojC75Y0 (see the 15 & 27 second mark)

Hello there.

Soccer is for Euro wannabe hipster douches that hate actual sports.

Football is not competing with soccer for attendance. It's two totally different market segments.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2013

I was at that 83 game on a crisp Christmas Eve but my dad was dead

How did you get Dad to the game?

And crisp was right! Must have been pre-global climate warming.

On December 24th, 1983, the closest available weather station to Seattle, WA (SEATTLE BOEING FIELD, WA), reported the following conditions:
    High Temp: 27.1F
    Low Temp: 11.1F
    Average Temp: 19.4F
    Dewpoint: -4.3F
    Wind Speed: 4.9 Knots
    Precipitation Amount: 0 Inches
    Snow Depth: n/a
    Observations: n/a

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

It's silly to say soccer is hurting UW football attendance. That's just another excuse. It's the lack of an exciting, winning program. That's all it ever was and all it will ever be. Oregon had shitty attendance in the 70s and 80s. USC had shitty attendance in the Hackett years. Stanford still had shitty attendance,but it is up 30% + over Harbaughs first year.

This is exactly it. People who whine about the Sounders hurting Husky football don't understand the persuasive power of winning. The fact is that during Sark's tenure, UW has come nowhere close to "contending". They have beat the Pac bottom feeders in ugly-ass games (see CAL) and have gotten absolutely destroyed in most games against the better teams in the PAC. Despite the "rushing the field", beating Oregon State at home is not that interesting. Despite the "big win" against Stanford last year, it was pretty clear that they would have beaten UW in 19 out of 20 games. Seattle teams come out in droves when a team is exciting. If the Dawgs catch fire next year, the rabid fan base will follow them as well.
  • Options
    "Euro wannabe hipster douches?" That is so far off that I don't even know where to begin. Your views are based on the very close-minded belief that football fans have no interest in soccer, and soccer fans have no interest in football. First of all, a lot of professional white collar families in Seattle, Bellevue and other burbs love the Huskies (because many attended UW and/or grew up rooting for UW), but they also have kids that play soccer. Soccer has grown as a youth sport across the United States over the past 20 years. Click on this link and read the paragraph entitled "Youth Soccer": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_in_the_United_States#Youth_soccer.

I know plenty of people that like soccer and football. Why do you take the 1950s views that they're mutually exclusive? In fact, I would argue that American football has more in common with soccer than baseball. You want to know the other sport that is beginning to draw youth attention away from football? Lacrosse: http://www.washingtonhslax.com/history/. Lacrosse is HUGE on the east coast, and it's expanding across the country.

Another thing to consider - injuries. People that grew up playing football NOW want their kids to play soccer or lacrosse or any number of other sports. The rash of injuries (particularly permanent brain damage) has a lot of people to nudging their kids in a different direction. Plenty of parents that love football are taking their kids to Sounders games because either a) they enjoy the sport, b) they want their kids to prefer soccer, or c) both.

And if you still think that soccer is limited to "Euro wannabe hipster douches," I suggest you strap on your overalls and read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/soccer/29sandomir.html?_r=0 or this: http://www.businessinsider.com/soccer-popularity-2012-9

Per my original point, the lines are becoming blurred. Football will remain popular in the United States as far as the eye can see. We all love it (and I love it much more than soccer). But it's ignorant to say there is no cross pollination between fans of the two sports.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,469
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Seahawks will get attention if they are winning.

The Huskies will get attention if they are winning.

The Sounders will get attention if they are winning.

Shit, I'm sure even the Mariners could pull 30K to their games if they were winning.

People like winners. They want to pay to see winners play. It's a simple formula.

And yes, some people like to watch more than one sport. I loved watching my Blackhawks take Lord Stanley's Cup this year.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    There were times as I recall in the 1970's and 1980's when many Seattle football fans thought or feared that the Seahawks would some day eclipse The Fever and pass-up Husky Football in popularity and sales at the gate, but that didn't happen. In fact with exception of a small number of years under Chuck Knox, the opposite was true for a long time. As Husky Football steadily improved to it's peak in the early 1990's, the Seahawks under probably the NFL's lamest ownership badly slumped and nearly left town. Along came Paul Allen, his new stadium and struggles with stuffed shirt coaches and management, but eventually as we're now seeing, must come the excitement good NFL ownership and coaching will generate in a football loving city such as Seattle.

What's now happening with the Seahawks was I believe always inevitable once or if the planets aligned to give Seattle fans what they've always deserved in pro football entertainment. It's truly disappointing and in so many ways disgusting that the Husky Football which once crammed our old crumpling stadium with rabid Dawgfans was trashed and thrown away by our university for no good reason, but that's were we are......... hoping and praying against hope that an overpaid head-coach-in-training will someday find the way for busting the Purple and Black (Gold appears to be dead) out of 7-6 mediocrity. I know that some of you youngsters must be thinking that the timing of what's going on at Montlake versus the Klink must be most unfortunate, but I believe Seahawk success was always inevitable. It has to be that we as associated with a football disinterested university are our own worst enemy.

Be thankful, all of you. In collegiate athletics, our favorite game of football is for the University of Washington like many other "big schools" the sole source of revenue available for operating and facilitating an entire athletic department of Pac-12 magnitude. If this were not the case and regardless of what the Seahawks do or don't do, we would not be dedicating a new Husky Stadium against Boise State on August 31, but looking forward to our Big Game against Idaho State or some other small college at Denny Field.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Shit, I'm sure even the Mariners could pull 30K to their games if they were winning.

People like winners. They want to pay to see winners play. It's a simple formula.

And yes, some people like to watch more than one sport. I loved watching Race's Blackhawks beat Race's Bruins to take Lord Stanley's Cup this year.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,469
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

And yes, some people like to watch more than one sport. I loved watching Race's Blackhawks beat Race's Bruins to take Lord Stanley's Cup this year.

Whatever happened to Race's Kings?
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

And yes, some people like to watch more than one sport. I loved watching my Blackhawks take Lord Stanley's Cup this year.

Of course. If any of our sports teams wins, attendance won't be a problem.

I was arguing with the assertion by man boobs that soccer and football draw a completely different group of people, and that soccer is limited to some fringe segment of society.

However, if UW football remains mired in mediocrity, people will consider other options for their entertainment dollars.

And I'd like to see figures for Damone's assertion that Portland has a "larger per capita soccer loving population than Seattle." Besides, per capita doesn't matter. It's sheer numbers that matter.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Whatever happened to Race's Kings?
    Knocked out by Race's Blackhawks in the WCF.
  • Options
    Passion said:

PurpleJ said:

I was arguing with the assertion by man boobs that soccer and football draw a completely different group of people, and that soccer is limited to some fringe segment of society.

However, if UW football remains mired in mediocrity, people will consider other options for their entertainment dollars.

And I'd like to see figures for Damone's assertion that Portland has a "larger per capita soccer loving population than Seattle." Besides, per capita doesn't matter. It's sheer numbers that matter.
    Your stupid ass took my generalization way too seriously. Of course there is some crossover...just look at pussies like The Glove, millcreekcoug, and MelloDawg for details.

Sadly, soccer is no longer a fringe sport because more and more of our society loves orange slices and juice boxes.
  • Options

Passion said:

PurpleJ said:

Your stupid ass took my generalization way too seriously. Of course there is some crossover...just look at pussies like The Glove, millcreekcoug, and MelloDawg for details.

Sadly, soccer is no longer a fringe sport because more and more of our society loves orange slices and juice boxes.
    Your posts just get more and more ignorant. I don't know what part of northern idaho you call home, but if you're going to say things like "soccer is for euro wannabe hipster douchebags," then you should expect a response that points out that it is fast becoming a mainstream sport in the United States.

And your suggestion that soccer is for people that like "orange slices and juice boxes" is yet another example of ignorance. Basically you're saying that soccer is not a competitive sport. Frankly, I don't really like watching soccer (except for the World Cup), nor do I like it when players pretend to be hurt by falling on the ground and writhing in pain. It turns my stomach. But that is different than saying it's not competitive, or physically demanding.

Try to think a little more before posting. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Can I find one thread where passion isn't pressing badly?